SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION: WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR US?
As a building materials manufacturer, we want to help our customers build more sustainably. Our purpose, Making the world a better home, leads us in this direction. The actions we take internally to reduce our own footprint matter greatly, but so does what we can do for the construction sector.
When we talk about sustainable construction, we believe that sustainability and performance should always go hand in hand.
For us, sustainable construction means buildings that are:
- Better for the planet
- Better for the people
- Building of a better quality
- Buildings with a better economic value
Building better for the planet
The construction sector has a significant impact on the environment. Our solutions and services help reduce the footprint of the construction sector on the environment, from the construction of buildings to their demolition.
How to build better for the planet?
- By increasing energy efficiency
- By reducing embodied carbon emissions
- By increasing the use of renewable energies
- By reducing the use of non-renewable resources
- By increased the lifetime and use rate
- By reducing the amount of non-valorized C&D waste
Building better for the people
For us at Saint-Gobain, sustainability does not only mean taking care of the planet, but also of people. We reduce health hazards and improve comfort, for both the occupants of the buildings and the builders who use our products.
How to build better for people?
- By reducing builders' exposure to hazardous substances during installation
- By improving working conditions for builders
- By improving indoor air quality
- By improving acoustics
- By improving thermal comfort
- By improving visual comfort
Buildings with a better economic value
Buildings must be performant at all stages of their lifecycle: thanks to high productivity during the design stage, construction process and installation; and thanks to an improved cost of ownership during the operational life and the end-of-life.
How to improve the economic value of buildings?
- Thanks to efficiency at the design stage of the building
- Thanks to efficiency of the construction process
- By optimizing cost of installation
- By optimizing operating cost
- Thanks to efficiency at end of life of the building
- By increasing the value of property
Buildings of a better quality
Improving the performance of buildings implies optimum quality. Materials and solutions used must guarantee that the building will last. Availability of solutions with diverse looks is also important to adapt the construction to evolving design trends.
How to improve the quality of buildings?
- By using solutions with a guaranteed quality
- By using long-lasting solutions
- By using dedicated solutions for safety and / or protection
- By choosing the right colors & finishes
- By providing versatility of shapes
- By developing wide architectural possibilities